Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

When Pictures and Diagrams Speak Louder Than Words: A quick recap from my first time downhill skiing

I have now downhill skied. Please view the following photos with captions and diagrams for further information regarding this endeavor.

The day was spent in a charmingly quintessential ski town in the Alps. The snow was just magnificent! And as for the mountains - I am not, generally speaking, at a loss for words, and yet I can find none to satisfactorily articulate the stunning grandeur and awesome majesty of the Alps.


We took a break halfway through to stop by that little bakery there, pictured below in the corner, and we sat outside eating croissants and drinking most delicious hot cocoa!


That is me. I enjoy this photo because it proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that I was not on the ground the entire time. I do not enjoy this photo because it utterly fails to adequately depict the shocking steepness of the mountain I was skiing down.


That is also me. I enjoy this photo because that is me, successfully skiing down a mountain. Please closely observe me successfully skiing down the mountain and applaud this massive accomplishment.


Before you read further, just indulge me by viewing these next two photos of me skiing successfully down a mountain. I think that it is a very good first impression for you to have. And I enjoy these pictures a lot. Because they are of me successfully skiing down the mountain. It is a beautiful, beautiful thing.



I am pleased to report that I did not fall, not even once, on my first time going down the mountain. However, on my second time skiing down, I did fall. It was a fall I am not likely to forget. It was also a fall that I have found difficult to explain in words, other than to say that if it had been caught on film (which it mercifully was not) there is no doubt in my mind that it would instantly be on America's Funniest Videos or whatever that show is called where they show people falling and hurting themselves and call it funny.

And so without further ado, a simple succession of diagrams attempting to explain my first fall:





(note in this picture that the skis are entirely perpendicular to the ground)







(yes, I realize that skier does not have two "i's". My apologies. I am not accustomed to writing down ski terminology!)

So that was that. If you did not follow those diagrams, feel free to make further inquiries. In addition to being sore, I am covered in a great many bruises of all sorts - bruises of the bones and of the muscles and of the everything else - presumably from flying off of the cliff and landing face first in the snow bank.

But it was all completely worth it, believe it or not, especially because despite all the formidable forecasts, the Lord graciously granted us with spectacular weather and the view at every instant of the day, every which way you turned, was magnificent...







(going up a mountain in those with only a thin metal bar between you and an uncertain death is utterly terrifying. And wonderful).




(Ski lift in the corner of the sky!)








All in all, it was a perfectly splendid day, and worth every miserable minute of acute muscular suffering that has ensued ever since!

18 comments:

  1. Ben: You should have tucked and rolled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath - my dear girl, are you all right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the harrowing tales of The Gap Year! You really have had an amazing time....Waterfall sliding, hurricanes, and now flying off a precipitous cliff in the Alps and landing face first in the snow. Hope the bruised everything feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything except my left arm is entirely back to normal, and the remaining pain shall indubitably dissipate by tomorrow morning!

      Delete
  4. I think the kids will need to read this one too!!! But u should not write entires that most likely scare ur parents to death!!!!!! :-) I'm sure they are used to it my now! Stretch! And RICE...rest, ice and ibuprofen, compress and elevate anything that needs compression and elevating:-). Will u be going skiing again? This is why as a gymnast growing up we were forbidden to go skiing! Lol! Have a wonderful day! You know where I'll be heading one week from today!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah a tad bit excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go skiing again at least once when the whole school goes as a class trip!!! I hope to go a few times before then to continue practicing.... Hahaha I can't believe you actually showed this entry to them!!!! So great!!!!! And yes, one week from today!!!!!!!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Entries not entires! Sure u understood l!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny: She is toughening up her parents, so that when we hear about her adventure bungee jumping off the Eiffel Tower, we will not be alarmed. Isn't it kind of her to prepare us this way?

    I am excited for you. Days I first held my boys among the best of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss it so much! Isn't is breathtaking....? I so wish I could have been there skiing with you! We will have to take a trip someday together. We can ski as two inexperienced skiers together and have a blast doing it! That trip would be filled with so many laughs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathtaking doesn't even begin to cover it!!! So much magnificence in one place is unreal!!!!! I am a big fan of your idea to take a trip together someday :) that would be the ski trip of all ski trips!!!!

      Delete
  8. @ Kath - what Jenny said.

    @Jenny - Um, not used to it yet.

    @All - bungee jumping is prohibited. Just in case you forgot the English language:

    saut à l'élastique est interdit

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathryn: Aunt Janet and I (Uncle Peter) enjoyed reading about your skiing escapade. Sounds thrilling! Allow me to teach you the proper skiing terminology for what you experienced--it's called a "face plant". Daniel has done an excellent one off a cliff-like slope, and I did one falling off the edge of a slope backward into deep snow--opening my eyes with my skis over my head and seeing my family laughing at me. So we are very sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is extremely comforting to hear that even the most fantastically professional skiing Chen family has face plants as well. Although my face plants all happened on the greenest of green hills. I somehow highly doubt yours did. I do so wish that the Chen family had been there with me!!!

      Delete
  11. As you know, I married into an avid skiing family. The kind of skiing family that gets up at 6:30am to catch the first lift up in the morning, skis all day, catches the last lift up in the afternoon and then goes home to watch ski videos and monitor the weather for the next day. Well, on one of my first trips with my in-laws I discovered that the family would video-tape one member after the other coming down the same slope--to see how to improve one's skiing technique. Well, I was skiing along slowly but surely down this particular slope when, all of a sudden, I fell face forward in what you now know is termed a face-plant. Imagine my dismay at watching this multiple times later in the evening. What I did not know at the time of my face-plant was that it was accompanied by a rather spectacular pouf of snow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....that is certainly an avid skiing family!!! An activity that motivates the Chen family to all get up at 6:30 AM is some sport indeed!!! :) I can't imagine skiing from the first lift up in the morning to last lift up in the afternoon...I was plumb tuckered out after just three or four times down the baby hill. I was thinking about the Chen family all of Saturday, and really really wishing I had their skills!

      Delete